Wednesday, January 27, 2010

The May Theatre




There are a handful of buildings around town that I fantasize about owning, or at least about what they could be but are not. I have thought longer and harder about no other building than I have about the May, and I seriously considered using it to begin a business venture (but alas, such things are for wealthier people than I). The May was built in 1941 and it used to be a movie theater, as you can see by the fabulous facade/marquee it still has. It was then converted and operated as an antique mall for several years and is now empty and for lease. If you are interested in this type of thing, there is an old photo of the May while it was new and shiny here, and if you are interested in historical factoids I found some of them at Cinema Treasures.

3 comments:

  1. You are right, this building deserves a loving owner to restore it! Welcome to CDP! Looking forward to more pictures of your city.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where is the building. I've never seen it before?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the welcome, Jarart! Constance - this is near NW 19th and May (by the original Jimmy's Egg).

    ReplyDelete