Sunday, July 25, 2010

On Route 66... 66 Bowl

I admit that I took these photos for selfish reasons. You see, 66 Bowl has been around since before I was born. My dad used to bowl here in a league before I was in grade school. The place must have been here for 50 years! I learned how to bowl here, I've visited the bar with friends and listened to live rockabilly music. It was announced a few weeks ago that the business and building was sold to an Indian grocer. Yep. Gonna be an exotic grocery store now; no more 66 Bowl. BUT. I really, really hope they keep that pin-shaped neon sign. It's kind of shabby, but I can't imagine driving down this stretch of Route 66 (known as 39th Expressway in town) without seeing it there.

On a side note, if I were a cool kid, I'd be at the Rockin' America festival going on right now: the biggest 80s Metal festival in the country is currently going on at the OKC Zoo Amphitheater. But this weekend is a bad weekend for me to spend the whole time partying... so instead I'll tell you how nifty it sounds, and maybe drive by and take a shot at the crowd if I get a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment